Do I have to file taxes in two states

by Edward Melia, CPA

I am a foreign national currently under adjustment of status for permanent residency. Recently I relocated to California for a new job after living and working in Idaho for three years. Will I have to file state income taxes in both states?

Although you were a resident of Idaho for three years, you will be considered a part-year resident for the year that you moved to California. You will have to file a part-year resident income tax return for each state. Your wages are allocated to the state where the income was earned, so there should not be any double taxation.

Edward A. Melia is a certified public accountant and an attorney in Sacramento. You may contact him at (916) 441-2006(916) 441-2006 or at

Have a question for a CPA? Ask it here.